Friday 16 April 2010

A Garden in East London

East Garden, Dalston, London
A no frills Chinese noodle bar located smack bang on Dalston Junction, I’ve been passed many times but always put off by places with pictures of dishes obviously photographed years ago in somewhere totally different. But my flat mate ended up here a few weeks ago and said it wasn’t all too bad so we ended when passing on way home. Simple café style décor with lots of free tables, the service was terrible and I mean really terrible – half our dishes didn’t come until we prompted the staff about them but when they did finally arrive they were cooked very well.

Chicken balls, prawn toast and prawn crackers
Not really a starter as everything came whenever it was ready from the kitchen but this is what you’d expect (I’ve just grouped them all together here) – It’s absolutely years since I’ve had prawn toast but I liked these with there really good mixture of crispy sesame and toast and the juicy prawn filling, not bad at all. The chicken balls were typical Chinese takeaway sweet and sour style with a thick batter, surprising they didn’t offer this in pork, as I would have definitely preferred those.

House special noodles
A bit of everything chucked in as is quite normal for the house specials but quite often it is pulled off really well, I enjoyed this but nothing special about it sticks in my mind.

Chef’s chilli beef noodles
A much better dish than the house noodles the sauce had a lovely fresh chili kick to it, and this worked well with tender slices of marinated beef. The dish was dismantled pretty quickly.
We washed down the food with a couple of bottles of the excellent Chinese Tsingtao beer, when the bill came we forgot totally about the rubbish service as it was simple a bargain, in fact so much so that I will without doubt consider coming back here again for a cheap meal.


View Tales of the Undigested in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment