Sunday 7 March 2010

Beer served by the stein

The Rake, Borough Market, SE1 9AG
Another visit to The Rake so the first time I've mentioned the same place on here more than once. As expected all the beers bar a couple on draught were different than the last time I was here and I decided to go for a Bear Republic American Wheat ale even after the bar staff warned me it was £7 a pint. Not as white as a lot of wheat beers you normally see, this had an orange hue and was extremely cloudy, it was also refreshing with a slight sourness, I liked it but I didn't feel it was that much better than other more normally priced beers on offer at the Rake, but I suppose it's a beer rarely seen outside America and I was glad to have tried it.

Katzenjammers, Borough, SE1 1TY
As we wandered looking for somewhere to go for a drink next we went past here and one of our friends mentioned they'd been in here recently and it was good so we went down the steps. It's obvious as soon as you go down that it's a German bar and we really should have realised by the name but you never quite know in London. My face lit up when I saw they were serving good German lagers in proper thick rimed steins, I went for the Paulaner and was probably the nicest Paulaner I've had. As was likely after drinking steins the evening was quite raucous from then on but what made it was the fantastic band Oompah Brass who I'd seen only a few weeks ago at Proud Cabaret - they were thoroughly entertaining again with their German oompah style mash-ups of modern classics such as Bohemian Rhapsody, my only disappointment was missing their amazing version of Britney Spears song Toxic. A brilliantly entertaining evening which was heighten by the ad-hoc nature of the arrangements and fact just three of us going out for a drink ended with ten of us dancing in a German bar drinking steins of beer.


View Tales of the Undigested in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment