Saturday 19 December 2009

Snowy evening in north london

The Angel Inn, Highgate, N6 5JT

Stuck in a pub because of snowy blizzards at least makes it feel like christmas, first time I've been to Highgate and seems like a nice quiet area with a bit of character. We went to the Angel Inn which has good selection of european beers on tap but not quite as good for the real ales. Being about -1 degrees outside I didn't really fancy a chilled lager so opted to try what ales they had. First up was pint of Adnams Broadside - bought this a few times and don't know why I keep trying it as just a bog standard bitter really but this was no worse or better than I've had before. The service was pretty slow at the bar and even though not busy did take a while to get served. Had a pint of London Pride next which was good if head a little weak. Having been uninspired by the ales I thought I'd try one of the continental brews on offer and had a pint of Erdinger Weissbräu which is always a good fruity wheat beer - this tasted much better although did feel unusual to have in standard pint glass and not the vase type glasses you get in most places serving it.

Slow roasted pork belly, with glazed apples, black pudding, mashed potatoes
A real slab of pork belly, it was superbly slow cooked so melted in mouth to right degree. Also good was the creamy mash the belly was laid upon. The black pudding was cheap though and the glazed apples were just like two slices of apple that had been put under grill for 2 mins - didn't add anything to meal at all, they would have definitely worked if they were done properly.

Sirloin steak with chips and side salad
I love the way chips look when still got skin on the potatoes - I think they actually look tastier. They tasted good too, the steak was a little over medium rare for me but I think I was only person who thought that. The salad was nice and fresh but cheap olive oil didn't elevate it from just a bit of lettuce and tomato.

This pub is a nice place which I would go back to, preferably in the summer though when you'd want to drink all those chilled foreign beers and not freeze on the way home.


View Tales of the Undigested in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment