Wednesday 17 February 2010

Go to The Winchester and wait for all of this to blow over

The Winchester, Angel, London, N1 8LN

I quite like the Winchester but this is probably only the fourth time I've been here since I first visited for a friends birthday 3 years ago. It seems to have chilled out a bit in that time and become a bit more grown up and just better.
Being valentines day and just meeting a friend I was so relieved when the only thing different than normal they were doing was a ladies only cocktail party downstairs, upstairs it was just right for quiet Sunday and I found a table straight away. I had a pint of the Portuguese beer Sagres while waiting which was nice but unremarkable, after finishing our first drink we decided to give the Sunday lunch a go even though not planned to eat anything.

Rolled leg of lamb with roast new potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, carrot and parsnip
Nicely presented with the Yorkshire pudding on top of the meat and full to brim with gravy, when cut into the gravy ratio was spot on, I do like a lot of gravy with my Sunday dinner. The lamb and everything else was cooked well, my only gripe - well my only two gripes were the Yorkshire pudding which I'm sure Aunt Bessie had a hand in and the mint sauce which seemed to have been left under a hot lamp for too long so had a crust on top.

I'd say the dinner was just above average but what made it was the value the meal offered, the Sunday dinner was 2 for 1 and with a decent selection of wines for about £15 a bottle it cost less than £30 for two of us with wine, I thought we'd got a total bargain and on Valentines days too!


View Tales of the Undigested in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment