Wednesday 20 January 2010

In need of a Bath (Ale)

The Salamander, Bath, BA1 2JL

Tucked down a tiny road in historic Bath this was a real find as it's a Bath Ales pub and didn't disappoint on our lunchtime visit. Freezing cold outside it was warm enough just about inside after we moved away for the ghostly draft by the bar. The beers were primarily Bath Ales own as you'd expect and I opted for the Golden hare, this was a light ale, very moreish and had medium hopping - an excellent golden light ale. My friend decided to try their cider instead of beer, the Bounder Cider was superb and refreshing, better than nearly any cider you'll see in most pubs but I suppose we were in Somerset so should expect that.
To go with the food we had ordered and fancying something a bit more wintery I went for a pint of the medium dark Barnstormer ale contrary to fact I had ordered fish. The Barnstormer had rich caramel and treacle undertones and it wasn't as bitter as you'd expect but this was an extremely good thing, much nicer than I imagined and will make me try more dark ales, at least until I get a rubbish one again.

Toad in the hole, organic pork & herb sausages with onion gravy and crispy fried roots
Crunchy on top and fluffy in the middle this enormous monster toad in the hole looked so rustic as it grew out of the dish it was served in. The crispy roots which seemed to be carrot with a bit of parsnip were nicer on the eyes than the tongue but the real stars were the fat and juicy sausages which had a great meat to fat mix inside and therefore retained so much moisture. A hell of a lot of pudding to eat though for one person, but a lovely warming meal.

Pan roasted Cod fillet with a chorizo & butterbean ratatouille
This was on the menu as being made with Hake but today had been replaced by cod, after not eating cod for quite a while through over fishing guilt I thought I'd have anyway. The cod was very nicely cooked in butter to keep it from drying out. The classic Spanish combination of white fish and chorizo is a no brainer really but this was executed very well and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole dish. The hearty portion meant desert was a no-no and I though the best was way to let it settle was with another Bath Ales pint, this time I tried the 3.7 percent Spa ale; a light bitter ale, quite heavily hopped, bitterish aftertaste and it definitely tasted stronger than its percentage.

A small pub serving excellent local beers and quality appealing food - it's so simple really and I loved it for a lazy Saturday lunch.


View Tales of the Undigested in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment